The Office of Learner Affairs (OLS) offers personal counselling services to a variety of medical education learners in the following programs: MD, MD/PhD, Medical Radiation Sciences (MRA), Physician Assistant (PA), Occupational Therapy (OS&OT) and Post Graduate Medical Education (Residency and Fellowship).
Our Learner Life Specialists (LLS) provide confidential individual counselling, system navigation and support to learners on both the St. George and Mississauga campuses. The primary goal of the LLS is to support learners through their academic journey. Learner Life Specialists often support learners with self-care strategies, relationship issues, and work/life balance. LLS’s are trained mental health professionals with graduate degrees in either social work, counseling psychology or occupational therapy. There is no cost to see a Learner Life Specialist.
Discussed topics may include, but are not restricted to, the following:
- Depression/depressed mood
- Interpersonal/relationship difficulties
- Difficulties in self-esteem and/or identity
- Grief and loss
- Past or current emotional, physical or sexual abuse
- Balancing professional and personal priorities
- Loneliness and homesickness
- Family issues
- Attention and concentration difficulties
- Issues about sex and sexuality
- Disordered eating/body image
- Self-harm/cutting/risky behaviour
- Problems with sleep
- Physical health issues
- Acute concern on behalf of another student
To meet with a Learner Life Specialist (LLS) complete the book an appointment form.